Have you started to smell a foul odor coming from your mattress? Do you feel as if your mattress is in desperate need of cleaning? If so, then you might be wondering “can you use a carpet cleaner on a mattress?”.
Not many people take the time to ever clean their mattresses, but they should! You use your mattress every single night. It collects sweat, oil, dirt, and dust, just like any other furnishing that you sit/lay on. But how can you properly clean it?
See below for an in-depth guide answering common questions such as whether or not you can use carpet cleaner on a mattress, top tips for cleaning a used mattress, and so on.
Can You Use a Carpet Cleaner on a Mattress?
Put simply, the answer to this question is “yes”. In fact, carpet cleaner might be the best at-home cleaning option that you have to clean your mattress. However, you need to make sure you do it the right way.
It’s like cleaning a carpet stain. Too many people spray the surface, they instantly start scrubbing as hard as they can with a hand towel. That method will get you mixed results at best.
Not to mention, scrubbing can push those odors further into the material of your mattress. It’s much better to use a carpet cleaner instead. Here is a step by step guide on how to use a carpet cleaner on a mattress the right way:
- Get rid of all bed linens and throw them into your washing machine. That includes all pillowcases, blankets, sheets, bed covers, and anything else you keep on your bed.
- Lean your mattress up against a wall.
- Use the hand-tool attachment on your vacuum to vacuum through each side of your mattress, including the siding. This will void it of any dust and dirt build-up.
- Turn on the carpet cleaner and slowly clean the mattress in long strides going from top to bottom. Make sure the mattress doesn’t get too wet in the process. Do one side of the mattress at a time.
- Wait for that side of the mattress to completely dry off before flipping it over to clean the other side.
- After you’re done with the other side and it has completely dried, be sure to use the carpet cleaner on the siding of the mattress as well.
- Wait for the siding to dry, then place the mattress back down on your bedframe. Take the bedding you’ve washed and remake the bed.
As you can see, these steps are simple to follow. However, you might think “gosh, that’s a lot of work just to clean my mattress.” If so, then you should consider hiring a house cleaning service.
We can customize our services to meet your mattress cleaning needs, as well as any other cleaning tasks you need to be done around the house!
At Rescue My Time Cleaning, we offer services for kitchens, floors, baths, doors, windows, vents, walls, ceilings, bedrooms, and so much more. That way, you can take back control of your time!
Are Carpet Cleaners Harmful to the Mattress?
They can be if you use the wrong cleaning products. It’s vitally important that you read up on the manufacturer’s instructions for whatever carpet cleaner that you end up using.
The manufacturer is likely to have a preferred list of cleaning products they recommend you use for upholstery, such as your mattress. Look into carpet shampoos that you can use to keep the integrity of the mattress’s material.
Look out for dangerous chemicals that might be hidden in the carpet shampoos ingredients. Such toxic ingredients include:
- Trisodium Phosphate
- Sodium Hypochlorite
Check the label. If the carpet shampoo that you’re considering contains any of these chemicals, steer clear of it. Placing them on your mattress can cause you to feel nauseous when you lay your head down to sleep at night. It can also cause long-term damage such as kidney and liver damage.
Why Should I Pair Cleaning My Mattress With a House Cleaning Service?
Perhaps you’ve decided to clean your mattress on your own. If so, that’s your prerogative. But it isn’t the only cleaning need that you have.
Clean your mattress as much as you want, but if the rest of the bedroom goes unkept, then the mattress will get dirty again in no time. Here are several reasons why you should invest in a house cleaning service:
- Take Back Control of Your Time– As much as you want to keep your house clean, household chores often take a backseat to other daily tasks in your life. A housecleaning service can help take that responsibility off your plate.
- Peace of Mind– It’s no secret that a dirty house can be a risk to you and your family’s overall health. By hiring a house cleaning service, that will no longer be a concern.
- Cleaning Whenever You Want It– You tell us when and where, and we’ll be there in a flash! We also have several cleaning packages to help ensure our cleaning services can accommodate your budget.
Hire a House Cleaning Service for Your Home Today
Now that you have your answer to the question of “can you use a carpet cleaner on a mattress?”, it’s time to reach out to a house cleaning service.
Be sure to read this article for more information on the 8 cleaning tools that professional cleaners love to use (and swear by).
For more inquiries, please begin by reaching out to receive a quote for our home cleaning services and we will be happy to assist you further!